Sunday, March 2, 2014

I Know that My Redeemer Lives

Good afternoon everyone!
We had a great day at church and missed everyone who couldn't come today. Here's the announcements and recap of our wonderful Relief Society message.

1. Tonight is a CES Fireside with Sister Linda K. Burton. It starts at 6:00pm.
2. Ecclesiastical endorsements for next school year will be due on March 15th, so please go talk with a member of the bishopric and get that done if you haven't yet!
3. Wednesday is Institute at 7pm in B092 JFSB.
4. Also Wednesday at 7pm in the Wilk Ballroom is the Prospective Missionary Fireside with Emeritus Bishop Edgely. That will be really good.
5. Saturday the 15th, and Sunday the 16th is our Stake Conference. We will be meeting in the COSTCO North Chapel, address to be forthcoming (I should have the address memorized, but I only know how to get there). Also, our Stake Presidency is being reorganized, so please be there Sunday morning to release and sustain our Presidency. Elder Bowen of the 70 will preside the meeting.
6. March 22nd is our stake service project, more details to come.
7. Saturday, March 29th, 6-8pm is the General Women's Meeting. Awesome!
8. Monday, March 31st is our ward closing social. It'll be fun.

Well, Ky and Megan taught our lesson in Relief Society today about Jesus Christ. It was a beautiful lesson and the Spirit was very strong. Thank you to everyone who participated today.

Ky: During Sacrament meeting, I was reading over the Living Christ, and it touched my heart. We’ll get to that, but we wanted to show some videos about Christ.
This first one is the parable of the lost sheep. I love it because I think it intensifies the Savior’s love for you. Our relationship with the Savior is the foundation of everything. It is the thing we should put the most faith and trust in. Even when we’re the lost sheep, our Savior is the shepherd who comes to find us.

https://www.lds.org/bible-videos/videos/jesus-declares-the-parable-of-the-lost-sheep?lang=eng


Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Rachel: I love this story. It makes me think of an experience I had at school. I was involved in new student orientation. Often our topic was “finding the one”. There was one specific experience that has really stuck with me through that. We had a girl who was new to the school, african-american, and searching for a group to help her. I remember sitting down with her and she started bawling. She was a convert, her family disowned her, and she needed somewhere to belong. It was a miracle that she ended up in our office. She found us, but I think that oftentimes just focusing on that one person is a huge blessing. The Savior wants to help us. Heavenly Father wants us to find those in need and help them. The Savior is like that for us, but we can do that for those around us.
Ky: That was the other point I wanted to make with this video. Christ is the shepherd, but we’re asked to be fishers of men and find others as well.
Go ahead and pull out your scriptures.
Megan: Mark 9: 23-27
Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.
When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.
And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and came out of him:and he was as one dead; insomuch that many said, He is dead.
But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose.

I really love this story because I’ve been thinking about how, I think a lot of times in our lives we try to control things and we think that we have to do a certain amount of things or be a certain way to qualify for the grace of the Lord, when really we just have to believe. We just have to believe him and the promises he has given us. I know that I am very guilty of trying to everything on my own. Just, one thing I felt like I should share was, I went through the temple a couple weeks ago. Honestly, I was really overwhelmed. I’m the kind of person that wants to know why for everything. I didn’t and it was really hard for me, but I went back again yesterday and was nervous that I would be overwhelmed again. When I went, one of the first people I saw was Emilie, and she was helping me. I just knew that the lord was looking out for me. He puts people in the right place at the right time for me. The spirit whispered to me, “let me teach you.” I had to make the conscious choice to just believe and open my heart. I learned so much yesterday. I know it doesn’t have to be in the temple for that to happen, it can be every day. We might be like this father, but he can help our unbelief. If we keep seeking him and do those things we know we should be doing. Especially forgetting ourselves and reaching out to others. I know we’ll be able to believe and come to know him personally.

Ky: The one other thing I wanted to share with you is the Living Christ. I want to read it because the words are so powerful. I don’t know what better way to strengthen your testimony than reading the words from the quorum of the twelve. Try to visualize the Savior and think about your relationship with him, and how you feel about your Savior.

https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine-and-covenants-and-church-history-seminary-teacher-resource-manual/the-world-wide-church/the-living-christ-the-testimony-of-the-apostles?lang=eng


I testify to you that Jesus Christ does live. It is only through him that we are forgiven of our sins and can become what Heavenly Father desires for us.

There’s just one more video of the Savior I want to watch.
https://www.lds.org/bible-videos/videos/for-god-so-loved-the-world?lang=eng


The visiting teaching message this month is on the divine mission of Jesus Christ. Maybe make it a personal challenge this month to strengthen your relationship with him.

Ashley: The line that I really love from that hymn is, He lives to bring us safely there. I think we often forget that that’s Christ’s entire purpose. Everything he puts in our path is for our good. I know that they are all for our good and Christ is our advocate. I know he loves all his children. I have a good friend who has cerebral palsy. Whenever I visit him I know I can feel God’s love for him every time. When we were listening in sacrament meeting and talking about the conflicts around the world, I know god still loves all of us. Sometimes think it’s harder for me to feel his love for me personally. He will do anything to help us return to him. I want to testify that it’s always better to come back to him. I love the Savior. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Emilie: I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior. I know that with all of my heart. He knows each and every one of us, very personally. He knows our joys and trials and is always with us. He understands our needs perfectly. Heavenly Father is also there for us and loves us more than we can imagine. I love this gospel. I know it is true with every fiber of my being. I am so grateful to have the gospel in my life. I know I am so much happier when I remember my divine nature and think of the reality of the Plan of Salvation. I know it's all true. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Sister Badger: This has been a really hard month for our family. About a month ago we had a death in the family. About a week after that my daughter was having problems with her science project. I started family history work while we were waiting for the printer. I told my sister that was the first time I felt joy since the death. It feels like the veil is very thin sometimes. I feel close to those people and I know I’ll see them again. We’re reading a book on near-death experiences of early members of the church. They are happy and feel close to us and don’t want us to worry for them. The gospel is true. The Savior made this all possible for us. I know I have a long way to go, but I know what I want to do with the rest of my life. When I return, I want to be with my family forever. I went to our stake family history activity yesterday. They said all the technology we have now for family history work is as big as Joseph Smith bringing forth the Book of Mormon. I’m grateful for the gospel and all the wonderful things it brings to my life. I’m grateful for my family. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Bishop Badger: If I could convey anything to you, it would be a feeling. During the sacrament today, some of the most powerful experiences I’ve had in my life have been during the sacrament, as we were singing this morning. The feeling I have is overwhelming sometimes. Alex quoted this scripture, for God so loved the world.” one of the most wonderful experiences I’ve ever had. I want you to know of the sacrifice our Heavenly Father made to send his son to earth. I want you to know that he did it our of pure infinite love for us. We talk about it and preach it, but you need to feel it. It’s real. When we have our challenges, we need to know that this is real. It is. Because we all have hard things in life. Let me tell you more about Sis. Badger’s story. This young man who passed away took his own life at 14 years old. You wonder, why? Totally unexpected. Just got his patriarchal blessing, active in the church. We don’t have all the answers, but we do have one. That answer is we have a Savior. He has the ability to heal all wounds. As you learn things through life, just remember the Savior is at the heart of it. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment