Sunday, April 13, 2014

End of the Semester

¡Hola amigas!
How is everyone after Conference? Wasn't it fantastic? I love Conference. And now we're at the end of the semester. Whew. Good luck to all who are taking finals this week and next.

Announcements:
1. Engaged couples fireside tonight at the Pioneer Building.
2. Ward prayer tonight at 8pm.
3. Normal FHE tomorrow, not Bishopric.

So our lesson today was taught by me. I hope those of you who were there heard something you needed. I was going to record the lesson and then transcribe it, because I always take notes, but I totally forgot hit the record button on my computer. So, here is the talk that I based my lesson off of. I'm really sad I didn't record because there were some really great comments and testimonies shared today. I'll share a few of my stories and y'all can share your testimonies or thoughts if you want.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1985/10/draw-near-unto-me?lang=eng

As a follow up to Brittany's lesson, I thought about this quote from an Elder I served with. This was after our missions and I was going through a hard time. He was going through a harder time and still had the strength to think positively. I love this statement and want to testify that no matter what you are dealing with, you can get through it.

Heavenly Father is always waiting for you. He wants to develop a relationship with you. If you seek him through scripture study and listening to the prophets, ask through prayer, and knock by obedience to his commandments, you will find yourself drawing nearer to him. I guarantee it.

Before my mission, I came to know for myself that God is real. I prayed to know if God exists. I asked him. And I didn't feel anything. After struggling over this for about a week, I opened my scriptures to 2 Nephi 2:14. I replaced "my sons" with my own name and read:
And now, Emilie, I tell you these things for your profit and learning; for there is a God, and he hath created all things, both the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are, both things to act and things to be acted upon.
Then I felt the Spirit testify to me that God is real. It felt like getting a big hug. That was the start of my relationship with my Heavenly Father.

I have a fun story from my mission about obedience. I taught a lady named Elizabeth. She drank coffee everyday. I'm pretty sure it coursed through her veins instead of blood. When my companions and I taught her the word of wisdom, we had created a plan to help her stop drinking it. She surprised us though and said she was going to stop drinking coffee that very day. And she did. She had a testimony that God gave that commandment, and she was determined to keep his commandments. She has never had a cup of coffee since that day. I can testify that if you keep the commandments, you will grow closer to Heavenly Father because your faith will grow as you keep them. It really is cool to see someone's life change as their faith develops.

This is one of my favorite pictures of Christ. It's titled "Christ's Love" by Del Parson. When I look at this painting, I imagine Heavenly Father with a similar smile. I feel so comfortable. So loved. Important and special. I know that I am a daughter of God. I am so grateful for the gospel in my life and that I have this knowledge in my life. I love you all and I am very grateful to have the opportunity to be your friend and serve with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment